Thursday, April 17, 2008

Suffern - Ridgwood loop (22mi)



I need to get ready for the 42 mile Five Boro Bike Tour which happens on May 4th. Last year, I bough a pass, but couldn't make because of the knee pain. I'm being careful this year, so hopefully I can take a part on this great ride. Already got my official vest and number :)
Yesterday I did my 4th and longest ride so far this year. I got this route from great biking site bikely.com. I think Suffern-Ridgwood loop is an official track of some Rockland Bike Club. I'm not very familiar with the area, but fortunately I can rely on my Garmin Edge 305 GPS where I loaded the course (I did had to convert .GPX file into a Garmin Course .CRS with a little help from GPSies.com online converter).
About the ride
Ride starts at the Airmont park. It's a pretty long ride for a beginner (took me just a little over 1.5 hrs to finish). You are sharing road with cars and even trucks, but most of the streets are not too busy at the time when I was riding it (6 pm). There are steep hills, and most the way to Ridgwood you get to ride downhill which is fun. Road conditions are fine, but I did hit a nasty pothole once and it got me scared that bike's wheel could bent.
In the very beginning you get to ride awesome decline. I reached around 33 mph on it without even pedaling . It was fun and scary at the same time.
East Saddle River road had most traffic, cars and trucks were gong pretty fast. Most unpleasant point was at the corssing of Route 17, but the rest of the ride was peaceful and pretty safe. I got to see some beautiful mansions (almost castles) and other interesting landmarks on the way. When road turned back I passed a cute little town on Sheridan Ave. Not sure which town it was, but I'll investigate later. Just a little bit before that road got really rough on Linwood Av. (if I'm not mistaken). There weren't any potholes but pavement was very old and super rough. Fortunately that stretch wasn't long and soon I was on the smooth asphalt. By the time I turned back, sun really got low and it was getting cold. I was worrying that I might have to go back in the dark. I checked my front light, but it didn't turn on (and it worked just 2 days ago). That light always gave me trouble, I need replace it ASAP.
Somewhere between Sheridan Av. and W. Saddle River Rd I got to see some great landscapes. There was a beautiful farm on my right with a large field in front of it. It looks absolutely fantastic and out of place among residential houses. I mentally applauded owner for keeping the farm and not turning it into more houses or just selling the land.
Since I didn't ride long distance for a while, I started to get tired around mile 9. Not physically, strangely I felt perfectly fine, not out of breath, my knees didn't hurt, although my back and shoulders felt a little cramped. It was a mental tiredness if there's such thing. I wanted ride to be over with, but I managed to pull myself together and continue, just didn't want to give up so soon. After all what's 22 miles? I have to make 42 in just couple of weeks...
Ride back was hard. Most of the roads led uphill and my speed dropped below 9 mph. Few hills at the very end were super steep, I had a really hard time climbing them, but I knew I was so close...
Finally I got home around 7:30 PM. Tired but happy. I definately need to repeat this ride at least one more time and then I want to do a 30 mile loop. Unfortunately it's difficult do this after work, since I get home around 7 PM and it gets dark around 7:30. I think I will rest today, and just use elliptical machine. Tomorrow I will do a 10 mile part, same as on Monday.

Resources:
Detailed Track Data for Suffern-Ridgewood Loop on GPSies
Suffern-Ridgewood Loop at bikely.com
My Modified 10 mile Loop
Cue Sheet:

No comments: